If there is one thing that I learned from all the lockdowns, floods and everything else that has kept us away from the gym over the past few years.. Is that home workouts are very effective and we should all be better at doing them.
I’m focusing on fat loss for this blog but we all know daily exercise is good for our heart health, brain power and gut wellbeing… so this should appeal to everyone!
First the boring bits..
Fat loss, means decreasing the amount of fat in your body. It’s worth noting that losing fat and losing weight aren’t always the same thing, since weight can also include muscle mass, bone density, and water weight.
Exercise is an important part of any plan to lose fat, as it helps increase your metabolism, burn more calories, and build lean muscle. Should go without saying that when combined with a healthy diet, exercise can help you lose fat faster and more effectively.
In this article, we’ll explore 10 effective fat loss exercises that can be done at home, with little or no equipment needed. So, these exercises can be a great option for those who don’t have access to Witness The Fitness or just want to add exercise to their days off from gym or Bootcamp.
Alright, let’s turn it up..
If you want to get a full body workout without any equipment, bodyweight exercises are a great option. These exercises use your own body weight for resistance, making them easy and effective for fat loss. Here are five bodyweight exercises you can try at home:
- Squats: Squats are a classic exercise that work the muscles in your legs, including your quadriceps, hamstrings, and glutes.
- Lunges: Lunges are a great way to work the muscles in your legs and core.
- Push-ups: Push-ups are a classic upper body exercise that work the muscles in your chest, shoulders, and triceps.
- Planks: Planks are a great core exercise that work the muscles in your abs, back, and shoulders.
- Burpees: Burpees are a full body exercise that work the muscles in your legs, core, and arms.
Jane Fonda Vibes..
Cardio exercises are a great way to boost your heart rate, burn calories, and improve your overall cardiovascular fitness. Here are five cardio exercises to try at home:
- Star jumps: Star jumps are a classic cardio exercise that works the muscles in your legs and arms.
- High knees: High knees are a cardio exercise that works the muscles in your legs and core.
- Mountain climbers: Mountain climbers are a cardio exercise that works the muscles in your legs, core, and arms.
- Skipping: Skipping is a cardio exercise that works the muscles in your legs and arms.
- Stair climbing: Stair climbing is a cardio exercise that works the muscles in your legs and glutes.
Okay, but how?
Now that we’ve covered 10 effective fat loss exercises that can be done at home, let’s talk about how to incorporate them into a fat loss routine. Here are a few things to consider:
- Beginner, intermediate, and advanced options: Depending on your fitness level, you may want to start with beginner exercises and gradually work your way up to more advanced ones. For example, a beginner may want to start with bodyweight exercises, while an intermediate or advanced exerciser may want to add in some weights or incorporate more intense cardio exercises. It’s important to challenge yourself, but also to listen to your body and make sure you’re not overexerting yourself.
- Plan your workouts at the beginning of the week or even monthly! It’s super hard to decide to workout on the spot or not.. If you planned on doing a 10min workout the following day, get out the gear you need the night before!
- Importance of rest and recovery: It’s important to remember that exercise is only one part of the fat loss equation. Proper rest and recovery is also crucial for maintaining muscle mass and allowing your body to repair and rebuild after a workout. Make sure to include active recovery days in your routine, where you do lighter exercises or activities like yoga or stretching.
Just do it!
Here is a sample fat loss workout that incorporates the exercises we listed:
Warm-up: 5 minutes of light cardio (jogging in place, star jumps, etc.)
- 3 rounds of the following bodyweight exercises for 40 seconds on and 20 seconds rest in between: squats, lunges, push-ups, 1 x 30 second plank and burpees
- 3 rounds of the following circuit, performing each exercise for 45 seconds with a 15 second rest in between: Star jumps, High knees, Mountain climbers, Skipping and Stair climbing (if you have access to stairs, otherwise substitute with another cardio exercise)
Cooldown: 5-10 minutes of stretching
In conclusion, there are many effective fat loss exercises that can be done at home with little or no equipment needed. The exercises listed above are just my go to exercises because they are basic enough that I can go hard, do without much thought and they can all be done in the space of a yoga mat!
To incorporate these exercises into a fat loss routine, consider your fitness level and choose beginner, intermediate, or advanced options accordingly. You can also choose to do full body workouts or split workouts (all lower body or all upper body), depending on your goals and preferences. And don’t forget the importance of rest and recovery in your routine, as well as a healthy diet and enough sleep.
Finally, here are a few tips to help you stay motivated and consistent with your workouts:
- Set achievable goals and track your progress (eg. Inbody scans)
- Mix up your workouts to keep things interesting
- Find a workout buddy or join a fitness community for support and accountability
- Reward yourself for reaching milestones or sticking to your routine
- Don’t be too hard on yourself if you miss a workout or don’t see immediate results – it takes time and consistency to see progress.